How to Stop Your Cat from Chewing Electrical Cords
By Mary Mathews
Chewing on electrical cords can burn or shock your cat, causing respiratory problems, cardiac arrest and even death. Cat’s sharp teeth and their inquisitive nature can put your cat at high risk. This is especially an issue with kittens.
Here’s what to do to stop your cat from chewing electrical cords :
1. Tape cords to the wall with electrical tape to help prevent your pet from gaining access to them.
2. Stow excess lengths of cord behind furniture or appliances, hidden from your cat’s view. Cats are attracted to dangling cords and may think they are toys.
3. Block access to visible cords by wrapping flexible safety cable (available at hardware stores) around them. Tin foil works well too, or even a thicker model or extension cord (that is too big for a cat to chew on)
4. Place contact paper, sticky side up, in the general area of electrical cords to discourage your pet from approaching them.
5. Apply unpleasant-tasting substances to exposed cords. These could include bitter apple spray, menthol, toothpaste, mouthwash or lemon juice. Experiment with different flavors, since cats’ taste aversions vary. You can also use Crittercord… It’s a cord cover with a deterrent infused in it. Be sure to use a product for Cats though- similar products are available for killing rats so be careful what you buy!
6. Have favorite toys available to distract your pet from the cords, and rotate toys every few days to prevent boredom.
7. Keep your pet out of any room with exposed electrical cords until your furry friend loses interest in chewing on them.
My favorite solution is rubbing the cords with a bar of soap.
Moisten the soap, it makes application easier. The soap will last longer than the Bitter Apple sprays and is more effective than hot sauce (even habanero). This works so well that you will probably see a reluctance to even reach for untreated cords, like a mouse or keyboard cord, where the same cat consistently would bite these before.
CLICK on the link below to learn more.